I'm a title. Click here to edit me.
Many traditional dentists feel that the mercury in amalgam fillings is trapped by the matrix of the metal. In truth, an amalgam is a solid suspension, which means that the individual metals still retain their individual properties and whichever metal has the lowest energy, mercury, is out gassed depending upon the temperature and levels of acid in the mouth. We have a study that shows the average amount that comes off these fillings is 17-20 micrograms per day, per filling. If is enters the saliva, then the bacteria in the gut methylates the mercury and it is absorbed by the body. If we breathe it, is it absorbed directly by the lungs. Mercury is the single most toxic non-radioactive element on the planet and creates oxidative stress, a process which interrupts metabolic pathways in the body. In addition the mitochondria in the body concentrate mercury and they begin to fail to produce energy and produce what is called hydroxy free radicals which causes aging of our cells. WHO studies show that 66% of all the mercury entering the body comes from amalgam fillings. The single largest exposure to humans.
Mr. Christopher Bryson has written a very well researched book The Fluoride Deception, which details his work looking into the subject of public fluoridation. We have seen that the levels of fluoride in the saliva only goes up to 1 part per billion when added to the water at the level of 1 part per million into the public water supply, this is not a therapeutic level required to prevent dental decay. However since we have been doing it for many decades the myth that it decreases decay still persists. The political aspect of this subject can not be ignored. We hope this video adds to the conversation when our patients and other like minded people are petitioning their local water suppliers to consider removing it from the water. Fluoride acts to remove iodine from the body, an essential nutrient to the immune system, it increases the risk of osteosarcoma (a dangerous form of bone cancer in young growing boys, increases lead levels in the blood which decreases IQ and makes us more aggressive. Please go to Amazon and consider getting a copy of his book.
This is a video we made from a presentation I made at the American Dental Education Association meeting in Orlando Florida in 2011. It has a brief description of mercury toxicity, how it enters the body and how we excrete it over time. Some humans are good mercury excretors and will not suffer as many systemic problems from it. Others however are not good excretors depending upon their DNA structure and will suffer many deleterious effects. The MSDS sheet on amalgams state in no uncertain terms that patients who are sensitive or allergic to this material should not have them placed in their mouths. However very few dentists have enough mercury toxicology in their training to realize this and do any blood work or genetic testing before placing them in their patients. Removing them safely with our IAOMT protocols is the best way to remove this toxin and one should look at the IAOMT web site to find an accredited dentist who has gone through the process to prove that they are following mercury safe techniques. All dental schools should be OSHA compliant with the 1910:1200 regulation which requires training in mercury vapor hygiene, train employees about the signs and symptoms of mercury toxicity, install engineering controls to reduce this effect and keep records of their monitoring schedules. Thanks for watching.
Our good friend Randall Moore has been working on a documentary on the subject of mercury from dental amalgam. He traveled to our office to film us safely removing them and documented our occupational research project we are working on in 2013 which clearly shows that the levels of mercury in the work zone is well above what OSHA and EPA/ATSDR allow. Workers in the dental field should be offered the same protection as those workers in the fluorescent light bulb factories and other industries that work with this toxin every day. The head of North Carolina OSHA has told us in no uncertain terms that educating the dentist and staff is essential to dental office safety. Many attempts to educate the dental schools have gone unanswered. However the exception to this rule is New York University of Dentistry, who after hearing my presentation at the ADEA conference has agreed to use composite filling material as its primary filling in their main dental clinic. We need to encourage all our schools to follow suit and recognize that the UN treaty to phase out amalgam over time will soon be ratified and all of them will need to begin discontinue using this hazardous material.
My good friend Dr. Joe Palmer in Greenville SC was a mercury damaged dentist who was observant enough to realize that he was mercury toxic after he had a heart attack at an early age. He is among dozens of IAOMT members who discovered that it was doing damage to their bodies, their staff and patients by allowing the vapor and particulate to travel in a cloud of toxins while at work. We have worked together to improve and re-think our safety protocols which are taught and supported by IAOMT in our semi-annual meetings each year. Please consider suggesting to your local dentist to attend a meeting and come to our Mercury Hygiene courses taught on every Thursday before the main scientific meetings.
The health of the dental practices have all gone up dramatically that have taken on this philosophy and almost all of our members would never go back to practicing the traditional way without protection. Often times our patients themselves are so involved with their own health that they bring in newly discovered information that I have not even seen which adds to the conversation.
"Dentists are all prone to suicide right doc?" is a common question that we all hear almost every day. Sometimes it acts as an ice breaker during a conversation when patients want to subconsciously detect our stress levels at work. Dr. Tom Duplinsky from Yale University School of Medicine has done a study comparing about 700 dentists to controls the same age and education to see if it is true. His study showed conclusively that the dentists were 79% sicker than the other non-dentists. The chronic exposure to mercury in the work place lead to higher incidences of chronic disease, heart problems and even cancer. He told us during a presentation that four dentists in his local county had all died from brain cancer. Later after investigating their dental offices they found shag carpet in those dentist's operating rooms. We are finding out now that getting mercury particulate and vapor out of carpet is almost impossible and using the vacuum cleaner merely stirs up the vapor to breathe another day.